This article appears in the book, "The Western Reserve and Early Ohio", by P. P. Cherry. In January 1813, the U.S. Navy Dept. awarded a contract for building gunboats to be used on Lake Erie. The contract went to Brimel Robins of Pennsylvania. Robins chose to build the boats at Old Portage on the Cuyahoga. Lumber was supplied by Captains Rice and Stowe. It was sawed at the Kelsey Mill.