Munroe Falls Historical Society Newsletter
Volume/Issue: 7 / 4
Title: SECOND CANAL GOT TOWN TOGETHER
Author: NICHOLS, KENNETH
Subject: PENNSYLVANIA AND OHIO CANAL, AKRON, OHIO
Annotation: Return to Munroe Falls Historical Society Newsletter list
This article was taken from the June 30, 1975 Sesquicentennial Special Section of the Akron Beacon Journal. It is probable that this article was originally abstracted from The Summit County Beacon, which was founded April 15, 1839, and was the precursor to the Akron Beacon Journal.
The article outlines how news of the Pennsylvania and Ohio Canal running through Akron unified North Akron and South Akron. In 1836, the state legislature granted their joint petition for a town charter.
There are also several anecdotes about the P. & O. canal listed under the main article.