Munroe Falls Historical Society Newsletter
Volume/Issue: 8 / 6
Title: sylvester gaylord . . . An outstanding craftsman
Author: Lown, Marilyn
Subject: gaylord family, stow meeting house
Annotation: Return to Munroe Falls Historical Society Newsletter list
This article focuses on Sylvester Gaylord, son of Johnathan Gaylord Jr., the first member of the Gaylord family to settle in Stow. Sylvester learned carpentry in Cleveland and worked with Joseph Butler in Stow Township. He was a member of the Disciples Church at Stow and was a trustee at the time the Stow meeting house was constructed.
In addition to building the meeting house in 1875, he is credited with builing a number of private dwellings and structures in Summit County, including the Gaylord Inn at Silver Lake Park in 1850. he also crafted a hand-carved black walnut pulpit for the new church. This pulpit is currently displayed in the Stow Christian Church.
This article contains a photo of the Stow Disciples Meeting House. The caption explains that the building was moved to its current location on Williamson Road in 1922, and is currently a two-family dwelling.