The Stow-Munroe Falls Public Library offers mobile Wi-Fi hotspot devices that allow library cardholders to connect online from almost anywhere using a Wi-Fi-enabled device such as a phone, tablet or laptop. Hotspots are the newest items in the library’s Eclectic Collection, a collection of non-traditional items available for checkout.
What is a hotspot?
Hotspot devices emit a Wi-Fi signal that library borrowers can connect with their personal devices such as laptops, tablets, or smart phones, in order to use the Internet. You can connect multiple Wi-Fi enabled devices to a hotspot and get high-speed Internet anywhere that has access to the T-Mobile network.
Do I need to have a T-Mobile account?
No. The hotspots are connected to T-Mobile through a library account. You will not be required to create an account. Your Wi-Fi enabled devices will be able to connect to the hotspot no matter what service provider you use.
How do I check out a hotspot?
Look for The Eclectic Collection display near the "Top Shelf" area at the library. To borrow a hotspot, bring its card to the library’s Checkout Desk.
Who can check out a hotspot?
Library cardholders 18 years and older can borrow the hotspots for a period of two weeks. New cardholders may not borrow these items at their first checkout.
How much does it cost to borrow a hotspot?
Borrowing and using the device is free. The patron is responsible for costs associated with loss or damage of the hotspot and/or accessories. A fee schedule is below. Any necessary fees will be charged to the patron’s library account. The hotspot must be kept in a temperature controlled environment (for example, don’t leave it in a hot vehicle).
Where can I use the hotspot?
The hotspots may only be used in the continental United States.
How long can I keep it?
Checkout is for four weeks with no renewals. Overdue hotspots will have internet access deactivated. The overdue fine is $5 a day until returned.
How do I return it?
You must return the device with all the original packaging and accessories to a staff member at the circulation desk. Please do not return it in the book drop.
Can I reserve or renew a hotspot?
At this time, reserves and renewals are not permitted for items in the Eclectic Collection.
Note to parents and guardians
Internet content filtering is NOT provided through the hotspot. Parents and guardians are responsible for monitoring what their children access using the hotspot.
How do I use the hotspot to access free Wi-Fi?
To connect your device to the hotspot’s Wi-Fi network, follow these steps:
Turn on the hotspot
- Press and hold the power button until the “Welcome” appears onscreen.
- Wait for the device to power on. This may take up to a minute.
Connect your device to the hotspot
The hotspot has a series of screens that let you view device information and system alerts. Lightly tap the Power Button to cycle through the screens.
- Tap the Power Button until the hotspot’s Wi-Fi name appears. Tap the Power Button again to see the hotspot’s password.
- Go to the wireless settings on your device. Turn on Wi-Fi, find and select the hotspot name from the list, and connect using the password.
Charging the hotspot
- Use the supplied AC adapter.
- The indicator light on the power button flashes green while charging. The light remains green when the battery is fully charged. Fully charging a battery may take 3 - 5 hours.
- After charging, disconnect the device from the charger. *Do not leave the device plugged in when fully charged.
Turn off the hotspot
- Press and hold the power button until “Goodbye” appears onscreen.
- The device will power off.
Fees for lost, damaged, or broken items
- Hotspot Device and Micro USB AC Charger: $77
- Case: $10
- Quickstart Guide: $1